Big batteries provides essential grid-support services (activities grid operators perform) including:
- maintaining system-wide balance
- managing electricity transmission better
- storing energy
Big batteries strengthen energy reliability, drive down electricity prices, and support the transition to renewable energy and net-zero emissions.
Big batteries in Australia
- The Hornsdale Power Reserve (150 MW) in South Australia completed by Tesla in November 2017 was the first installed in Australia.
- The Victorian Big Battery (300 MW) is Australia’s largest lithium-ion battery at the Moorabool Terminal Station outside Geelong.
- Big Battery Storage Map of Australia – RenewEconomy
- ARENA backs eight big batteries to bolster grid – Australian Renewable Energy Agency