Greenwash is a term coined to indicate an attempt to depict a product, company or practice as “green”, “sustainable” or “environmentally friendly” in a dishonest or inaccurate way.
For example, attempts to portray use of fossil fuels as a clean energy source such as the term “clean coal” have been described as greenwash.
- Greenwashing, sourcewatch.org – a wiki for tracking and revealing greenwash
- stopgreenwashing.org – detect and combat greenwash
- greenwashingindex.com – view and rate greenwash.
- Time to bury the ‘clean coal’ myth, guardian.co.uk, Fred Pearce, October 30 2008
- Green groups accused of clean coal ‘greenwash’, Sydney Morning Herald, April 15, 2008